Drupal has a built in search module - but it's capabilities are limited. Apache Solr is the go-to solution for building advanced search engines within a Drupal site. It works by indexing your content in an efficient way for retrieval by keyword search. With a few modules, you can quickly build pages that let your users find content they want.
I'll talk about the concepts behind search indexes, and walk through the setup for building a robust search page.
Topics covered will include:
- Basics of the Solr software stack, and how Solr indexes work
- Installation on a local development machine
- Hosting considerations, including Pantheon, Acquia, and custom approaches
- Drupal configuration including basic installation and faceted search
- Building Solr-backed search and other Views displays
- Advanced search customizations