Case study: How to create site ‘templates’ and migrate a couple hundred local Chapter sites to Drupal in a matter of months.
The Sierra Club has hundreds of local grassroots chapters and groups all over the country and we needed to make new websites for all of them. We used Drupal (Organic Groups module) to create ‘templates’ so we could empower many local webmasters to manage their sites.
- Used a small stakeholder group to represent the needs of many hundreds of stakeholders. This ensured the end products met goals and that volunteers were invested in their success
- Created four website 'templates' with varying levels of functionality (from simple & bare-bones to robust) and increasing levels of technical knowledge required to manage.
- All four site levels have a unified user experience, allow for minimal design customization and have a responsive theme for mobile and widescreen devices.
- Plan to expand and improve over time and keep the volunteer stakeholder group involved.
- Overall focus was simplicity of the back end for both users and code maintenance.
The presentation will describe the process, takeaways, and learnings which would be of use to other nonprofits or companies who need to create lots of small sites or meet a variety of stakeholder needs